What is a Perth Linux Users Group? A Perth Linux Users Group is like a community of people who use and develop with the Linux operating system. It’s a network of users, who are interested in using, and enjoying the power and benefits that come with the use of this powerful and affordable open source operating system. It’s a place where you can find answers to questions, discuss issues, give tips, get help, and even help other users. In other words, a Perth Linux Users Group is a type of online community for users of Linux. If you’re thinking about becoming a part of one, or starting your first such group, read on!
- How do I join? There aren’t many steps involved in joining a user group. Usually, you will be sent an email indicating that you have joined a group. Usually, you will also be asked to create a username and password.
- What kinds of activities are available? The group usually meets at an evening or weekend time, once a month, or whenever the organizers want to meet. You may also find that there are meetings held on certain days of the week, such as Wednesdays. (The names of these groups often coincide with the names of cities – Cairns, Perth, etc.) If you live in Australia, you will likely have meetings in the city of Cairns, or more likely, Perth.
- How do I find out about future events? This is often the biggest question, a new member will have. The best way to go about finding out about future events is to simply join the group. It’s important to make sure that all members of the group have the same interest. Once you are a part of the group, all of its members will know about it. It’s easy enough to find out about meetings, and the latest happenings, by email, or in person.
- Are there regular meetings? A group meeting is a good thing to attend if you want to talk about something interesting. There are typically a number of different topics on which to discuss, depending on what the group is about to focus on. In the case of a group working on a solution to a problem, you can generally expect to find ideas on solving that particular problem during your monthly meetings. Sometimes you’ll even be able to pitch an idea to other members of the group! That is a great way to learn about a variety of different areas!
- Are there social events? Some groups will hold events where people can meet and mingle with one another. These could range from dinners and seminars to conferences and presentations. They can be a great way to meet people, make new friends, or just hang out with old friends.
- What are the benefits? The most obvious benefit of being a part of a group is that it provides an environment in which you can explore and learn. If you’re new to using Linux, you’ll have access to more than one person who can show you everything you need to know. You’ll also have a group of people you can bounce your ideas off of, and possibly learn something you didn’t think you’d ever get to know about yourself! Being able to talk to others who are also using Linux can really make a difference in your development as a user.
- Where is it? The Perth Linux Users Group is in Perth, Australia, which is located right in the heart of Perth city. This makes it accessible all day every day. It’s also conveniently close to the various campuses and other businesses in the area. If you live in another part of Australia, or if you’re not close enough to make it to a meeting, there are several webcams set up to show a behind-the-scenes look at what goes on when people attend. You can also watch a video of previous meetings so you can get an idea of what the group enjoys discussing.